Feeling Good? You’ll feel even better after trying Waitrose’s new laun...
Aquascot in Line with Food Waste Goals
Our commitment is to reduce our Food Waste by 60% by 2030, measured against our Base Year of 2018/19 - this exceeds the industry target of a 50% reduction in the same period.
As part of the Environmental & Sustainability Focus Group, the 'Food Waste' workstream has worked this year to produce again a food waste report for the WRAP institute (Waste and Resources Action Programme). While our production volumes have increased, food waste has been kept to a low 0.5%.
Food waste data commentary
- Food Waste data commentary
- Our food waste totalled 29.4 tonnes in the year 2020/2021, equivalent to 0.52% of our total food handled.
- This compares to 24.2 tonnes of food waste in the year 2019/2020, equivalent to 0.49% of our total food handled.
- Our total food handled has increased by >700 tonnes in the past year and our internal controls have maintained our food waste at around 0.5%.
- Positive actions in the past year:
- 14 tonnes of food waste were recycled instead of being sent to landfill, so now we have zero waste going to landfill.
- We have established our new Primary processing area, including a new trade effluent system.
- We have repurposed 2,166 tonnes of inedible parts (either redistributed to the human food supply chain or to animal feed)
- We are active members of WRAP and Waitrose working groups focused on reducing food waste. WRAP is the industry body that leads on the 2030 food waste reduction strategy.
- We have established a Food Waste Reduction action group as part of our Environmental & Sustainability initiatives.
- Our focus areas for 2021/2022 food waste reduction will be:
- Sustaining and further developing our internal controls to reduce food waste.
- Increasing the redistribution of food products to partners and local area when available.
- Improving the management of pastry for our En-Croute products, which is currently responsible for 1/3 of our food waste.
Latest NewsView all
08.03.2023Two new products from The Feel Good Fish Co l...
23.02.2023Call for Action to Protect North Atlantic Blu...
Aquascot joins fellow salmon producers and major retailers in a call f...
11.12.2022Festive Favourite Fish Dishes at Waitrose for...
It's that time of year once again — Aquascot partners have been hard a...
06.12.2022Native Hebridean Salmon Makes for Fine Festiv...
Keep an eye out on Waitrose shelves for the imminent return of special...