Position: Multi-skilled Engineering Modern Apprenticeship
Reports to: Engineering Manager
Apprenticeship Duration: 3-4 Years (depending on progress, and subject to terms)
Academic Year: 2022/2023
Starting Pay Rate: 9.90 per/hour
Hours per Week: Variable (30 hours per week at college)
The Modern Apprenticeship (MA) gives the successful candidate the opportunity to complete nationally recognised qualifications whilst in paid employment. The programme consists of a combination of theoretical learning and practical ‘hands on’ experience. Throughout the programme you will work closely with UHI to build a comprehensive portfolio and will be monitored through continuous assessment.
Qualification and Prospects
The Modern Apprenticeship is a three to four year programme delivered in partnership with the student, employer and training provider (College) and comprises of the following components; SVQ Level 2, SVQ Level 3, National Certificate in Engineering Practice.
The Level 2 and NC components of the qualification are delivered in college on block release while the Level 3 is delivered in the workplace supported by visits from college assessors.
The successful candidate is expected to attend College full time in the first year of the apprenticeship programme at Inverness College UHI.
About the Employer
An employee-owned seafood business, based at Alness in the Highlands, employing around 200 people from our local community and offering a wide range of products: from whole prepared salmon and trout, through to products such as fillets, loins and portions, lightly smoked salmon, and an extensive range of easy to cook meals.
Aquascot has supplied employee-owned retailer Waitrose since 1993. Over the years the relationship has developed into a unique exclusive partnership, built on trust and understanding. This has become the essence of our thinking; building and maintaining strong, lasting relationships with our customers, supply chain, employees, and the local community in order to create a sustainable business.
In 2021 they won the Scottish Council for Development and Industry (SCDI) trophy for Excellence in People Development at the SCDI Highlands & Islands Business Excellence Awards.
Entry Requirements and Eligibility
Modern Apprenticeships are available to employees aged 16 or over who are eligible to hold a UK passport. You will be required to demonstrate that you have the potential to complete the programme. Aquascot will require candidates to sit an online aptitude test, provided by the college, as part of the selection criteria. This will give us an overview of the candidates’ abilities in the following areas: Information Technology, Literacy, Mechanical Reasoning, Numeracy, Principles of Measurement, Spatial Relationships, and Understanding Electrical Principles. This takes approximately one hour to complete. The candidate/s will also be required to complete a weeks’ trial in the Production Department. This will allow us to determine the persons fit with our business, adaptability to factory conditions and the candidate’s commitment levels.
It is recommended that candidates should have Scottish National 4 Grades (or equivalent) in English, Maths, a Science subject and Craft/ Design Technology would be desirable or one other GCSE, at grade 4 or above. Equivalent qualifications or experience may be considered.
- Communicates effectively, with good interpersonal skills
- Resilience, with a can-do attitude, with eagerness to learn.
- Able to work effectively with diverse teams
- Eager to learn with a positive ‘can do’ attitude.
- Able to multi-task and prioritise workload
- Able to problem solve
- Attention to detail
- Able to use own initiative
- Reliable and punctual, with flexibility around work patterns, shifts, weekends and evenings.
- Good written communication skills.
- Computer literate, specifically word and excel.
- Committed to personal development.
About the Role
- As a maintenance engineer apprentice, you will learn how to work safely.
- As a maintenance engineer apprentice, you will learn about food safety and how to work in a food safe manner at all times.
- You will learn to ensuring a high level of inspection and preventative maintenance is undertaken in accordance with defined preventative maintenance schedules, completing all documentation and records of maintenance.
- You will be learning how to locate and rectify faults on plant and equipment. This will include inspecting and maintaining plant and equipment.
- As a maintenance engineer apprentice you will also learn how to read, understand, and interpret information, technical specifications and supporting documentation
- This job will mean preparing work areas and reinstating those areas after the completion of the work-related activities
- As a maintenance engineer apprentice you will learn how to assess and test the performance and condition of plant and equipment
- Upon completion of work you will communicate, handover and confirm that the appropriate process has been completed
- As a maintenance engineer apprentice you will develop communication skills enabling you to provide information to internal and external stakeholders
- As a maintenance engineer apprentice you will learn and develop competencies in Lean / 5S practices as well as continuous business improvement techniques
- You will form part of a team, working close with team members and work under your own initiative when knowledge, skills, and evaluation permits.